Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Yin and Yang of tea...

I'm not a master in these areas of  Yin and Yang
but I remember growing up being part of this whole process of striking a balance in
what I eat and especially when I am down with a cold or flu
my mother would diagnose if it is a "heaty" cough or if I have a "cooler"
body constitution and that I need a balance..
and so she will seek a diagnosis from the Traditional Chinese Medicine man who will prescribe me some herbs and she will concoct the mixture of herbs which may take a couple of hours..
and what's left to be served from a 1 litre pot is a bowl of concentrated 250 mls of herbal drink.. ;0
and no wonder my siblings had found much excuses to drink theirs near the kitchen sink.. ha ha...

well, today's tea is more prophylactic
as I have been eating much "Yang" foods (ie heaty food with spices or deep fried) lately..


My choice of tea is American Ginseng Chrysanthemum tea
it's a cooling tea and certainly is refreshing.
Contrary to the concentrated muddy colored concoction, this is pleasant and light...
a good balance...most certainly...


Happy Tea Tuesday dear Kimmie and all Tea Tuesday bloggers!!

Kindest
steph

5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This sounds like the perfect tea to drink after eating spicy and deep fried foods. I bet it's very cleansing. Have an awesome tea day, dear friend.

~*~Patty S said...

so interesting Steph ... finding/maintaining balance is a life long quest isn't it :)
Happy T to you
oxo

Anonymous said...

In my herb class we talked alot about balance and drank some pretty strong and strange brews. Lots of burdock, nettle and the like including some bitter roots.
But, chrysanthemum is so soothing and wonderful and light, I enjoy it too. Ginsing for strength my friend. xox Corrine

Unknown said...

How fascinating! and mother's the world over must have remedies that make their children reluctant to admit to being sick!!!! such a wonderful story! and your tea today certainly DOES sound cool and refreshing! thanks for sharing!

Happy T today! Kimmie

Caterina Giglio said...

what a fascinating post, always trying my best to balance, so nice to have your sweet reminder! have a lovely t day!