Friday, September 24, 2010

Art Journaling pens


There was a request (ever since my last post on
art journaling) about writing on painted pages..
The following is a page I did with crackled textures to demonstrate
with some of the pens I have in my stash. 


All of these pens are permanent but they vary in "clarity" and ease :

1) Pitt artist pens by Faber Castell. 
                                                        2) Sakura pigma micron pen
                                                        3) Marvy Uchida pigmented artist pen
                                                        4) Sharpie poster paint
                                                        5) Uniball signio (I think it's Sakura)
                                                        6) Sharpie permanent marker

On such backgrounds with textures, the Sharpie poster works wonders. It simply glides through
the crackle surface, probably my favorite. I happened to have bought mine from Michael's
during my recent trip to the US as we don't have this particular range here.

I'd like to credit Julie Prichard for this idea of presenting the use of these pens in this format.
Julie runs fabulous online classes on layering paints to create backgrounds. And if you pop by her blog right now, she is having a giveaway.

The art page featured today is a combination of collage painted with acrylic paints which was inspired by
Julie's online class, Layer Love. 

Happy weekend!!!
steph






5 comments:

~*~Patty S said...

Great demo of a nice range of pens Steph! I am a huge fan of the water based Sharpie Poster Pens.
Thank you for mentioning Julie's giveaway. She certainly is a fantastic teacher, isn't she!
oxo

Lori Saul said...

Yes this is a wonderful example of writing over painted work or collage journal pages. I still have fears sometimes of adding words but I need to do it more -it add so much expression. Thanks for the inspiration!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never even heard of those Sharpie pens. But I love the examples and the range of pens you use in your journal pages. Now I know why I don't use my Sakura micron pen. It simply doesn't show that well compared to others AND I press too hard, trying to make the ink show better. Of course, I'm really crazy about that background, too!

Betty said...

Love the textures! Good idea to test our pens...

Caterina Giglio said...

I love those sharpies too and now they make a fine point, it doesnt work as well as the others but I also love the pitt pens, and this was a great post!