Monday, September 20, 2010

Malacca...


I was back in my hometown of  Melaka or Malacca
a week ago....


We walked down the river which runs through the
historical town,
with old buildings on each side....


and walked through alleys which
brought me back to my school days...


I used to walk through the red square everyday after school...


the reason why it's called the red square is because
these buildings were built by the Dutch..


Today, the red square is abuzz with tourists
from all over the world..
but one thing remains....


a peddler selling his wares and this is piping hot steamed peanuts..





here's a view of the red square from one of many bridges.. 


"painted" buildings.....
haven't been to this area for a while and this stretch of
buildings just caught my eye...
it depicts the story of the founding of Malacca and its famous warriors..


and here's a quirky Art T shirt shop..

Happy Monday!!

steph

3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remembered seeing the words "World Heritage City" or "World Heritage Area" while working on my Asia AB, but never really knew what it meant until today. I had no idea UNESCO was responsible for the designation. This is a beautiful place and I'm so glad it is protected for its significance. And the Red Square is gorgeous. I always love it when I can "visit" places I'll never see in my lifetime. Thank you so much for sharing these precious photos of your hometown.

Anonymous said...

Love the painted buildings, thanks for the tour.....xox Corrine

~*~Patty S said...

What a special place to grow up in Steph. I really feel the sense of pride with the clean and colorful streets and courtyards. Beautiful buildings with the extra magic of being on the water too.
Sweet of you to share your lovely hometown with us!
Seems I can't use enough adjectives here :)
oxo