Sunday, July 4, 2010

Collections from the journey....

I've been unpacking and these are some of the stuff
I've brought back from my trip...
from fish and chips wrappers to protective sheets
for delicate items 
(which was given to me by the kind retailer at a shop;
see that jagged looking paper where the red die cut bear is resting on?)



And guess what, I bought a box of rice cakes while on transit at 
 Narita Airport in Tokyo 
as the paper was too pretty to resist.  ;) 


all for collage.......

And I've been wide eyed and awake while everyone was sleeping last night....
so what did jet lag do to me? ;))

I made some background papers in the wee hours of the night,
painting, printing and organizing my stash of papers etc....








Assembling and having fun.....


arranging the elements...... 



 I stumbled upon this quote by collage artist, Mark Lazenby which got me thinking about my perspectives on beauty in discarded and found elements for collage art....

" There's a great deal of beauty and truth to be found in things we discard.
Bits of trash, pieces of printed matter-I seek to rescue and elevate these fragments.
I want to make new worlds out of them"...

Well I'm off to do some cutting, tearing and pasting some papers and found objects..... 

Have a good week!!




6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

There's nothing better than collage fodder that was destined for the trash. This is my kind of art. And the backgrounds are uber cool. I am a background junkie, so hope you share your process, too.

Anonymous said...

Lovely stash and nice papers you were making in the middle of the night. I love finding that special piece of paper that just does it for you! A friend gives me japanese papers all the time, they are the best.
xoxCorrine

~*~Patty said...

Brilliant quote and your treasures and collage are all fantastic!

You are my kinda gal ... sometimes I buy ... I confess for the packaging ... hehee ... we do what we must ;)

brilliant background papers too Steph so rich ... that blue ...ooo!
oxo

Anonymous said...

Gosh - I am really loving that red bathing suited woman picture. Coooool.
Amy

Marlynn said...

I am SO loving your collage, Steph! Thank you so much for stopping by the Honeysuckles! I always love your visits. Get over your jet lag! Hugs

Susan Williamson said...

I really enjoyed this post ...everything from your inspiring words and photos to the quote. Thanks Stephanie.